The Emergency Food and Shelter Program (EFSP) was created on March 24, 1983, with the signing of the “Jobs Stimulus Bill,” Public Law 98-8. The EFSP aims to supplement and expand the work of local social service agencies, both nonprofit and governmental, to help people with economic emergencies (not disaster-related emergencies [i.e., fires of any kind, floods, tornadoes, etc.]). The EFSP funding is open to all organizations helping hungry and homeless people. EFSP funds must be used to supplement feeding, sheltering (including transitional sheltering), and rent/mortgage and utility assistance efforts only.
With the 1983 signing of the “Jobs Stimulus Bill,” a National Board was created, chaired by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), that consisted of representatives of the American Red Cross, Catholic Charities USA, National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA, The Jewish Federations of North America, The Salvation Army, and United Way Worldwide.
Since its inception, the EFSP has distributed over $4.4 billion to over 14,000 human service agencies in more than 2,500 communities across the United States.
The National Board selects jurisdictions for funding, and Greene County is one of the local jurisdictions in Missouri. Local Boards are convened in those qualifying jurisdictions to determine the highest need and best use of funds and to select Local Recipient Organizations (LROs) that will provide emergency food and shelter services. Each year, needs are to be assessed to respond to changes in the community. United Way of the Ozarks serves as the administrator of the EFSP Local Board in Greene County.
- See here for the Local Board roster for Greene County.
- See here for a history of award amounts by jurisdiction. Click “county award history” in the righthand menu to search for award history by state and county.
- See here to find contact information for other EFSP jurisdictions outside of Greene County. Click “Local Board Contact (Individual Search)” in the menu to search for contacts by state and county.
The Greene County Local Board is currently administering Phase 37 and Phase CARES. The Local Board has determined that the highest need in the county is emergency shelter, so all EFSP funds allocated to Greene County are directed to supplement local emergency shelters and/or rent/mortgage assistance programs in the county.
- Greene County’s Phase 37 Allocation: $88,772
- Greene County’s Phase CARES Allocation: $126,564
- Application period: May 10-17, 2020
- The application will open on May 10, 2020 at 7:00 am and will close at 5:00 pm on May 17, 2020. Applications submitted before or after this period will not be considered.
Eligible Applicant Organizations
Nonprofit, faith-based, and governmental organizations that provide food, shelter, and supportive services within the intent of the program.
- Past EFSP participation is not a requirement
- Submit applications to the Local Board for funding
- Must have a Data Universal Number System (DUNS) Number: http://fedgov.dnb.com/webform
- Must have a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN): http://www.irs.gov
- Maintain a checking account in the organization’s name for EFSP deposits
- Pay vendors directly within 90 days for services provided
- Submit required reports
- Any agency that is awarded funds that participated in the EFSP in the past and has outstanding compliance exceptions must resolve them prior to the release of funds.
How to Apply for EFSP Funds
Complete the online application here for EFSP funding in Greene County. Current or former EFSP participation is not a requirement. Interested agencies must submit an application to the Local Board in the jurisdiction where they are providing services. Remember that each Phase/Fiscal Year is considered new and funding to agencies is not guaranteed. See the national EFSP website for further details, instruction manuals, and recorded webinars. Please contact [email protected] with questions.
Local Board Contact for Greene County
417-863-7700, ext. 222
United Way of the Ozarks
320 N. Jefferson Ave.
Springfield, MO 65806